[OM] Re: [OT] Toyota reliability, was: Broken DSLR - worth repairing?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Toyota reliability, was: Broken DSLR - worth repairing?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:30:32 -0500
I've subscribed to CR for 40 years and will continue to do so.  In that
time I've learned to recognize their bias which is really trying to
judge something relative to some constant benchmark.  In judging a
sports car it might be judged as having a harsh, rough ride or for
transmitting road feel into the steering wheel.  Probably very true
relative to Cadillac DeVille but if you want a high performance sports
car you know that and don't care.  In auto reliability ratings I think
their methods are sometimes statistically suspect but the worst problem
is that they rate the number of problem areas or problem events without
any regard for the cost or inconvenience associated.  They have so much
invested in their reliability numbers that it has become the chief
determinant on the worthiness of a car.

Well, I think that's all balderdash and a pox on many of their other
tests and methods.  And a pox on their attempts at social engineering
instead of product testing. But I'll keep buying the magazine because,
after filtering out the bias and what I don't care about, there's still
a lot of very good info in there that I can't get anywhere else.  It's
another large set of data points which I choose to heed sometimes.  At
some point during every year I'll save enough on something to have
justified the cost of the magazine.

Chuck Norcutt