[OM] Re: [OT] Toyota reliability, was: Broken DSLR - worth repairing?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Toyota reliability, was: Broken DSLR - worth repairing?
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 15:44:07 -0600
>  How can CR
> survive in this day and age?

They have a lightly deserved reputation. I will take seriously their tests
on things like vacuum cleaners, where they pour a certain amount of dirt on
a carpet and vacuum it up, and weigh the results. Otherwise, fugddaboudtit.

I was out with friends for dinner, and it was time to order wine. One
suggested that he used CR ratings for wine buying. I suggested, with no
offense to certain list members, that I'm not interested in geting my wine
advice from a bunch of engineers in a lab. I long ago dropped my
subscription as too many things that they rate "objectively" can only be
rated subjectively. For other things, the "objective" ratings are hostage to
the strange criteria that they use.

They are, in their own way, the same as the corporations that they mistrust.

Bill Pearce