[OM] Re: opinions: Canon EOS body - OM lens adapter

Subject: [OM] Re: opinions: Canon EOS body - OM lens adapter
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 18:15:36 -0500
I have 3 OM->EOS adapters.  The first one was bought soon after they
became available on ebay and I paid $100.  That adapter fits every lens
I have tried it on which includes about 20 different Zuiko and other OM
mount lenses, mostly Kiron and Vivitar.  The other two adapters were
bought from ebay seller "jinfinance" (well respected on this list) for
about $20 each and, as far as I can tell from just looking, seem to be
the same adapter that every other Chinese ebay seller is peddling.  The
adapters look well made but they do not fit all of my third party
lenses.  All of the Zuikos fit and all of the Kirons fit but my 90/2.5
Vivitar Series 1 macro doesn't, a 35-70/2.5 Soligor CD doesn't and one
other lens that I can't recall at the moment.  Of those that didn't fit,
the 90/2.5 was the only one of importance for the 5D so that one has the
original adapter dedicated to it.  Note that the fit problem is only on
the lens side for a select few non-Zuikos.  The camera side fits fine on
all three adapters.

All of these adapters pre-date the advent of the focus confirmation
chips.  I think some or all of these chips may also allow the use of
different metering modes beyond just averaging.  But then I've never
tried any different modes on the present adapters.  From what I've
gathered on the list so far it appears that much of what's being sold is
of unknown quality but I'm interested in having focus confirmation
adapters myself so will be listening to the responses as well.  I seem
to recall Jeff mentioning a Russian supplied chip???  Note that some
sellers like "jinfinance" sell only the chip or only the adapter but I
think I saw recently that "jinfinance" will put them together for you
for an additional $5.

Chuck Norcutt