[OM] Re: Really Right Stuff L-plate for the E-3 arrived

Subject: [OM] Re: Really Right Stuff L-plate for the E-3 arrived
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:28:52 -0700
Daniel Sepke wrote:
> Hi Garth,
>
> Thanks for letting us know. I am the skeptic you mentioned. The comments
> about the ugliness came up during an email exchange with an RRS rep who
> actually echoed your thoughts that while its not pretty it does the job very
> well. Anyway my (unexpressed until now) concerns were over how the forward
> shifted design affects handhold-ability. I often use my left hand as the
> primary support for the camera with it firmly in my palm, right where the L
> plate fits onto hence my concern. I don't doubt that the build of the L
> plate is up to the usual RRS standard, they really do some excellent work.

[snip]

Daniel:

I'm looking at the glossy catalogue they sent to me with my order (and
trying to keep the drool off the nice paper), but there's a double-page
spread of the entire stable of L-plates available for various cameras,
and frankly, most of 'em look pretty darn weird to my eyes.  This makes
sense to me, since the plates ultimately have to "get intimate" with the
various curves/contours of the camera bodies they mate with.  In
comparison, the E-3 plate just doesn't look remarkably different from
all of these others.

As for hand-hold-ability (er, ...), the open square design fits quite
nicely into the meat of my left palm when doing a vertical, and it's
close enough to the camera body that, if you're holding it horizontally
with the left hand, you can still get quite a comfortable, solid grip.
(Keep in mind that I don't have huge hands -- they've been kindly
described by female friends as the hands of a lady mechanic.)  In some
ways, I think I almost prefer the L-plate's feel to that of the camera
body, as it gets my greasy left thumb a little further away from
smearing the left side of the LCD panel.  (Doesn't do anything to
prevent my nose and cheek from leaving smears on the LCD when I've got
my eyeball pressed to the optical viewfinder, of course...)

[snip]

> Maybe I just need to try an L plate and see [if] it works for me?

Certainly, if you know of some retail outlet that carries RRS stock (or
you can get to RRS' showroom in San Luis Obispo, CA) and can try one for
free, that would be great.  Such an option is sadly unavailable for this
poor Canuck -- and not just with RRS' stuff, either.  It's amazing to me
how much gear I've ordered over the years completely on faith.  Equally
amazing?  I've liked (and kept) most of it!  ;-)

Garth