[OM] Re: First message

Subject: [OM] Re: First message
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 02:51:57 -0800
Brent wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Brent, 31 yrs old, living in Sydney Australia.

Excellent! Welcome to the funny farm.
> P.S. the light meter on my OM-1 is about 6 stops out (using 1.35V
> hearing aid batteries) - should I bother trying to get this fixed (is
> it likely to be an easy fix?)
Here I disagree somewhat with Cris. Yes, you can get another camera for
the price of an overhaul/CLA, but what problems might it have? The OM-1
is an old mechanical thingie, and things get old and worn, lubricants
dry up and/or migrate over all those years. I don't know if there is a
suitable repair place in Oz, no doubt our other Aussie members will pipe
up on that. The best solution may be to send it to John Hermanson of
this list, who is a crackerjack, factory trained OM repair person.

John has done many, many CLAs and repairs for list members and is very
highly regarded. The diffrenece between the feel and operation of a body
he has CLAed and a perfectly 'good' body that has never been tuned up is
simply night and day. You can see details at his site. <http://zuiko.com/>
> , or should I just go old fashioned and  find a good hand-held light meter /
> "sunny 16"?
My primary OM-1 is one with a John H. CLA, so you know where I stand.
Feel and hear it as it was meant to be. And incidently, get an accurate,
working light meter that has been internally converted to use regular
silver oxide batteries.

Moose