[OM] Re: Anyone use retouchers?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anyone use retouchers?
From: Candace Lemarr <CandaceRocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:40:05 -0700

Marc Lawrence wrote:
> "The excellent Layers system is retained from Version 5, with Adjustment
> Layers being especially easy to use and offering versatile methods for
> non-destructive editing, as adjustments are made on Layers rather than
> in the background image itself. However, the versatile Layer Masks
> option available in the full edition of Photoshop is still sadly lacking."
>
> The review gives the impression that it has all the features of previous
> versions, plus some more.
>
> I should just download the "Free Trial" of the bloody thing and find
> out, hey? :-)

I can't tell if PSE6 has layer masks or not, but here's a link for
instructions on how to simulate the layer mask in any version (I think)
of PSE.  http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pselements/qt/layermasks.htm

> Candace, PSE's Healing brush, relative to their Clone Tool, is a
> worlds-away improvement, or, at least, likely far better tool for what
> you probably use the clone tool for. When it was included in Version 3
> (maybe?), it was if a million amateur photographers cried out in
> pleasure, and were suddenly happy (sorry - bad Star Wars allusion).

LOL, you're right, Marc. I spent some time this morning on the same
image that Moose, Andrew, and I have been toying with, and the healing
brush is rather nice. Forced myself to use PSE5 since it has the healing
brush, and I have to say that it is very helpful.
Much better than all the time consuming manipulation I've been doing
with the Clone stamp. But it will definitely take some time to learn how
to fine tune it to my preferences.
Thank you, Marc!
Candace