[OM] Re: Anyone use retouchers?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anyone use retouchers?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 14:36:50 -0800
Candace Lemarr wrote:
<snip>
> Moose wrote:
>
>> - The birth mark (or whatever one calls it) on the cheek.
>>
> I think it's a mole. Holy Moley?

I wasn't referring to that, but to the large, amorphous, reddish area in
front of the ear.
>> - The individual acne spots, coarse areas of skin in general and most of
>> the freckles, but using natural skin texture, not a gaussian blur.
>>
> Using natural skin texture...is this a tool in PS CSx?

Using the Healing Brush, with unblemished skin with the 'grain' in the
right orientation as the source.
> <snip>
> In Firefox, the original and final version selection boxes are one above
> the other, so you can toggle quickly back and forth looking at those
> individual areas.
>

> It works in Internet Explorer, also. At least it works for me, and I
> really enjoy that feature.

I think it's really hard to make a good comparison without some sort of
roll-over.
> <snip>
>> If I were doing serious portrait work, I'd also experiment with a
>> Macbeath or IT8 target and appropriate software (An IT8 target and
>> VueScan is only about $100), to get all the tones right, not just
>> mid-tones. With a color profile for a shoot or studio setup, you skip
>> all sorts of color accuracy questions. Of course, you need a color aware
>> application for that to do any good, which PSE is not.
>>

> And see, there you go again, telling me about things I have no idea about.
> :-)
Color management is a whole discipline or process that involves
calibrating each step in the chain of capture, display and printing
devices to color standards. I wasn't really proposing that you dive into
that, just planting the seed. So that when you become aware of and
frustrated by problems of color matching, you will know that there is a
way of bringing it under control.

> I don't know what applications are color aware and which are not...and how to
> tell.

I don't remember either. PS, maybe The Gimp by now, either Paint Shop
Pro or Picture Window Pro.

Moose