[OM] Anyone use retouchers?

Subject: [OM] Anyone use retouchers?
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:18:17 -0500

I suppose this is for the folks on the list who take portraits,
bridal shots, etc., and convince people to give them money in return
for prints. <wink>  I keep seeing references among the high and
mighty to their "retouchers." My assumption is that these retouchers
are Photoshop pros whose specialty is making good shots look
stunning, or making ugly people look pretty. <g> There's a retouching
forum on DeePee, and I've seen a lot of examples, but I don't know if
these people are pros or not. I'm guessing not so many, but some.

At any rate, some of what I see is pretty amazing, but at the same
time underwhelming. I suppose I'm an unreconstructed old faert, but I
like my portraits to be fiddled with minimally so that the person in
the portrait looks like the person of whom the portrait was made.
Perhaps in an, ah, different light that customarily seen, but
still . . .

So, how important are these retouchers? Are they necessary to
facilitate customer satisfaction, that is, to keep the mother of the
bride from doing bodily harm to the photographer? Do any of our folks
use them? Chuck? AG?

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com