[OM] Re: Walking and shooting in Brooklyn - OT equipment

Subject: [OM] Re: Walking and shooting in Brooklyn - OT equipment
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 19:58:16 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> You've got some great stuff there!
Thanks!
> I was going to say 3316 was the "magazine shot" and my favorite
There are two versions in there, full frame in Potpourri and cropped in
Favorites. It's one of my favorites too (obviously). If you look a
couple of shots earlier in Potpourri, you'll see that she is a model on
a shoot. 3316 was taken when she was waiting while the photographer was
off fussing with his equipment. This is one case where I tried to be
unnoticed. I didn't want some young NY stud after me for horning in on
his shoot.

He had already set up the juxtaposition of youth, softness and
sophistication against age, roughness and hard use. Catching her in a
very non-sophisticated pose showing the simplicity under the glamor and
hints of uncertainty, loneliness and a sort of weariness was a real
stroke of luck for me. Might even qualify for "decisive moment"?
> until I ran into too many other favorites.

Ah, music to my ears. :-)
> I've been wondering.  How do street shooter deal with model release
> problems?

About all I know is that, in the US, it's legal to photograph anything
and anyone in view from a public location. I believe it is also legal to
display such photographs in non-commercial use. For commercial use, you
need a release. I'm not clear on how that works. If I sold a shot to
someone who used it in advertising, is that the same as selling a print
on-line or in a gallery? 3316 is clearly a case where somebody else was
paying the model, so there is no way I could use it for anything beyond
the sort of thing I've done with it.

As you can see, I'm relying on ignorance and my own anonymity to protect
me.  :-)   I know this issue has been discussed here before, which is
where my limited ideas about it have mostly come from. I suppose a pro
working the streets with an eye to commercial use would have an
assistant running around after the shutter clicks offering dollar bills
for signed releases. Or perhaps just getting contact information with
the teaser of possible payment if the shot is used.

Sounds like a subject for zone-10.com, K(h)ens.

Moose