[OM] Re: OT equipment excitement

Subject: [OM] Re: OT equipment excitement
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 16:21:50 -0800
Joel Wilcox wrote:
> Interesting comment, Larry.  My old Lumix FZ-20 has a choice of
> settings for IS:  1) let the IS work exclusively at the point of
> capture;  2) let the IS work BOTH in the electronic viewfinder AND at
> point of capture.  I suppose it seems crazy not to use 2).  There is a
> downside that I can't quite recall (but I think it might be a bit of
> delay at the shutter).  In any case, I've always kept it set at 1) in
> order to force myself to do as well as I can to minimize movement and
> then let the camera improve on what I am able to do.  It's always been
> excellent at that.

Which option works better varies by camera, or at least maker. dpreview
sometimes tests this. In the case of the A710 IS, 2), continuous mode,
got better results, so that's what I use with mine. They didn't test the
IS of the A570 IS, presumably because it is the same mechanism as the
A710 IS.

Your FZ-20 shows much better results in their tests in the mode you call
1), only activated when the shutter is pressed.
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz20/page5.asp> That's
probably why you use it that way.

There are no comparable options available with the lens based IS I was
testing. The system doesn't activate until the shutter is half-pressed.
Also, of course, I'm talking about the effect on the view through a DSLR
optical viewfinder, not an EVF or LCD electronic viewfinder.

> On Nov 9, 2007 4:56 AM, Larry <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> The image steadying in the viewfinder is not automatically better for
>> results than not.
I agree, I was, in fact, pointing out that it does not, in this case,
mean the IS is going to do its job properly.
>> I don't mean the occasional dizziness some people
>> feel. Even if you're lulled into thinking if you see it steady, it will
>> be steadier - actually the opposite can be true often as not. If you are
>> /not/ watching the stabilization working and are putting your usual
>> effort into keep still (seeing only your own results of being still),
>> the IS only makes it better. No false confidence causing you to not try
>> as hard.

I assure you that I was making every effort to shoot with just the same
care for all shots in my tests.

Moose