[OM] Re: Mac Cat Names...TABBY!

Subject: [OM] Re: Mac Cat Names...TABBY!
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 07:45:46 -0500
Sounds like a cat with no vestige of an identity crisis. <g>  Our 15-
year-old, Beau, was a kitten when we hired his litter mate and him as
mousers after moving into our current house, which had been vacant
for many years, and finding mice had a whole condo set up in place.
He and his litter mate performed up to and exceeding expectations,
and for many years we had no mice. Finally, the little rodents
learned not to come out of the walls, so we would lie in bed and
listen to the regional soccer championships being played over our
heads with acorns. Then, four or five years ago, silence. No more
soccer. No more wall noises at all.

Came to find out we had a very large snake living in our basement. It
was/is either a black snake or a large garter snake. Freaked out the
plumber. But as there are no poisonous snakes in Maine, I was more
than willing to share space with the snake because while not
poisonous, he has a voracious appetite for field mice. I think we may
be on the next generation of snakes now, but as far as I know he/they
are still down there. Occasionally we find snakeskin dried up and
blown into a corner.

As for Beau, his claim to fame comes from two downed bats. The first
one was six or seven years ago. It was night, and suddenly a bat was
circling in our living room. Pretty cool sight, all things
considered. Beau's litter made sat and watched, but Beau was tracking
the bat from the floor. Talk about intensity of concentration! Then
suddenly he took off at warp speed, went straight up my recliner,
launched himself, and snatched that bat right out of the air.

Unfortunately, all he got for his troubles, other than a dead bat,
was an extra special rabies booster shot.

We call him anti-aircraft cat.

--Bob