[OM] Re: OM lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: OM lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:34:43 -0800
Matthew Granger wrote:
> So the correct term for the OM style mount is bayonet mount M-1?

Simply OM mount.
> Also, I heard that other brands (maybe Leica?) make lenses that fit onto OM
> or Olympus digital. Can anyone tell me where to get info on this?

Many third party makers made OM mount lenses, but no makers with their
own line of camera bodies and proprietary mount made them. So no Leica,
but lots of Tokina, Tamron, Sigma, Kiron, Vivitar and quite a number of
other, generally lower quality brands were made.

Many of these lenses are as good as Olympus' own Zuiko lenses and any
fill in holes in the Zuiko line of zooms. Some few are still considered
classics of superb performance.

Tamron's series with interchangeable mounts, Adaptall2, can be used on
many different mounts with appropriate adapters and many are great lenses.

There is a lot of onfo about them here.
<http://medfmt.8k.com/third/index.html>  Lens tests of many of them and
most Zuikos are here.
<http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm>

There are links to a great many useful sites here.
<http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.shtml>
http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/olympus_hw_full.html
http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif.htm

That should keep you busy for a while. :-)

Many of us have accumulated excess equipment that may be for sale. If
you want more info on particular items and/or to buy them, try a post here.

And welcome to Zuikoholic enabling home base.

Moose