[OM] Re: OM lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: OM lenses
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 17:30:00 -0700
Matthew Granger wrote:
> So the correct term for the OM style mount is bayonet mount M-1?

Just call it "Olympus bayonet mount" or "OM mount."  Most people "in the
know" will understand you immediately.

> Also, I heard that other brands (maybe Leica?) make lenses that fit onto OM
> or Olympus digital. Can anyone tell me where to get info on this?

Many third-party lensmakers have seen the wisdom of creating lenses in
OM-mount, such as Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc.  If you're scoping around
for used lenses on places like ePay, make sure the seller's talking
about the correct mount.

As for the Oly Digis, the standard is called "Four-Thirds," and a number
of manufacturers are starting to create lenses in that mount,
principally Sigma (as one of the bigger third-party lensmakers, often
nicknamed "Bigma" 'cause they create some pretty huge lenses) as well as
a few others.  Progress is slower in this regard.

For more info, go to places like:

    http://www.four-thirds.org/en/index.html

    - or -

    http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/

    - or -

    http://zone-10.com/cmsm/ (just a wave to Ken Norton's new site)

    - or -

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Thirds_System  (Wikipedia's
article on Four-Thirds, which includes info on manufacturers)

There are other places for camera-related info as well.  Try
www.dpreview.com, which itself has a good set of links to other camera
discussion/review sites.

You can spend a long time looking at all this stuff.  ;-)

Garth