[OM] Dragging the shutter, was: Decisions, decisions..

Subject: [OM] Dragging the shutter, was: Decisions, decisions..
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 17:17:29 -0500
It occurred to me that non-flash shooters (and maybe some flash shooters
too) don't understand what we're talking about when we say "dragging the
shutter" or why we do it.  Dragging the shutter is using a much longer
shutter speed than one would normally use for a flash shot in order to
pick up the ambient light which is much weaker than the flash.

 From your comment below you are apparently doing it to pick up some
blurred subject motion on the dance floor.  I've done that as well but
generally use it to add a bit more background brightness and especially
to capture the ambient incandescent lighting.  My web site just happens
to have an illustrative example of dragging the shutter.  This shot was
made at ISO 100, f/8 and with a shutter speed of 1/4 second.  The
interior of the tent is lighted by two studio flash units bouncing off
the ceiling as well as an on-camera flash on the dancers.  The flash
illumination could have been captured at a fairly high shutter speed and
the dancers would have looked fine.  However, the strings of
incandescent lights would have been almost invisible and would probably
have looked like they were turned off.  There's not much subject motion
here in 1/4 second but you can see it in the finger tips of the woman in
the red dress at left. <http://www.chucknorcutt.com/party.php>

Chuck Norcutt