[OM] Re: Decisions, decisions..

Subject: [OM] Re: Decisions, decisions..
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 07:56:00 -0400
For me, such decisions are based entirely upon need (as opposed to
want). For example, for web work, and "normal" printing, that is, up
to a, say,m 11x14, I think Olympus is as good or better than anything
out there, bar none. Never thought it would happen, but I've taken
some pretty nice images at ISO 1600 on my E-510. They probably won't
hold going large, but at 7x10 matted to 11x14, they look just fine.

_If_ you're planning a lot of low light, high speed work, say event
photography, aerial, HS or college sports, that sort of thing, you
might want something a little different. Then the Canyon line starts
to weigh in pretty heavily, though I don't think the 5D is
particularly suited for sports, for most anything else I can't see a
downside, especially as weather sealing isn't high on your list of
wants. (Neither is sports, so you're safe with the 5D <g>)

And _if_ you're hankering for some of those 16x20 or 20x30 or 24x?
prints with smashing IQ, then the 5D wins hands down. Well, maybe not
hands down. I just finished printing some true 16x20s from the 510,
which has much the same game as the E-3, and they look pretty damn
good. So even to 16x20 the E-3 can to do the trick for you, but
likely in the lower ISO ranges.

Considering the mass of Oly gear you've got already, I'd be trending
toward the E-3, and if those bonus bucks were really burning a hole,
the top of my list of extras would be the 7-14 and the 50-250. Not to
mention as good a tripod and head arrangement as I could find.

Just by $0.02, and worth exactly that.

--Bob