[OM] Health Care rant OT and another cut at it. Even some on-topic stuff

Subject: [OM] Health Care rant OT and another cut at it. Even some on-topic stuff.
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 19:45:20 EDT
OT.  Got that right!  Perhaps we should not over simplify the  issue by
painting the insurance companies as a bunch of cold hearted blood  suckers.  As
ask you to not over simplify, I will do exactly that in  saying the basic
principle of insurance is the insured (that would be you  and me) suffers a
small
loss (the payment of a premium) in exchange for someone  else (the insurance
company) assuming the large losses (claims) when they  occur.  So the insurance
companies collect premiums and pay claims and as a  business hope to make a
profit.  They tend to do that (pay  claims) with a greater efficiency than
government bureaucracies.

When you place the insurance companies in the lion's den for the high cost
of health care, please be sure they have company.  Include the following as
causes of high health care cost:

1) Lawyers (need I say more?)
2) Doctors, who have a high cost of doing business due in large part to  #1.
3) Drug companies.
4) Medical supply companies.
5) Hospitals
6) And lets not forget the patient (that would be you and  me.)  What part do
we play, you ask?  How about our going to  the doctor every time we sneeze or
cough (over utilizing the system.) Taking  little responsibility for our own
well being.  You know, overeating,  smoking, drinking, doing drugs, not
exercising, etc.. Not being willing  to assume part of the cost, through high
deductibles.  Our willingness  to get involved a lawsuit at the drop of the hat
because we have 1)  suffered some loss (or perhaps not), and 2) we want to try
our
hand at winning  the lawsuit lottery.  It is, afterall, just the greedy old
insurance  companies who are paying.  No, that is not the right answer.  It  is
you and me who pay and we pay it every time we use the health care  system.
The discussion of greed is not limited the few folks at the  very top of any
structure.  It runs from the top to the bottom or  perhaps the other way
around.  So, lets try to be inclusive in our OT  conversations if we feel
compelled
to have them.

So, has everyone completed their Walt Wayman TOPE entry?  How about  the
print exchange print?  Why not?  Here is an idea.  How about  the same image
for
both?  That is what I did.

Anyone shooting any pictures lately?  I was out this morning with my  class,
their OM 1s and a few lenses.  A 6 AM start got us out there early  enough to
have some great light while we were having some fun.  I usually  don't do any
shooting on these field trips, however this is a smaller  class and I fired
off a few shots with my OM 2S.  Also carried a Clack and  got most of a roll
through it.  Had the pleasure of having an OM list  member from out of town
join
us.  A great day was had by all and none of us  required any medical treatment
for alligator or snake bites.

<[B^)  Bill Barber