[OM] Re: First CF card failure

Subject: [OM] Re: First CF card failure
From: Doug <doug9345@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 19:21:01 -0400
On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 18:54, Garth Wood wrote:
> Andrew Fildes wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>  > It is
> >
> > amazing how well that analysis works for a simple two variable
> > situation and how blind we are to the real range of choices,
> > especially when there are more than just two variables. Especially
> > when we are addicted to change, growth and 'progress.'
>
> Oh, I don't know.  When I went to B-school (twenty years ago already),
> we were routinely told that when writing proposals to senior managers,
> we always needed to include the options of "do nothing" and "retrench"
> in any business analysis.  When actually working out in the field,
> especially as a consultant, such analyses tended to surprise older
> managers, but were usually quite appreciated by the younger ones,
> especially if trenchant reasons were put forward for either of those
> options.
>

> Garth

The stay put option even if it is understood as an option at all is most
likely the hardest sell, at least at middle level management levels. Managers
think that they must "do something" or they aren't doing their jobs. The fork
in the road model is further complicated by the fact that in the real world
there is a time component to these decisions. Decisions made too soon are
basically random choices and ones made too late have already been made by the
events. Add to this that all systems have latency so it takes some time for
any input you make to manifest itself it's no wonder in times of crisis that
things go awry.