[OM] Re: [OT] monitor problem and questions

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] monitor problem and questions
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:43:27 -0600
Richard Lovison wrote:

[snip]

> It looks like I'll finally have to shift to a LCD.  Anyone have
> recommendations for an inexpensive 19 or 20 inch model for photo
> editing?  What specs should I be concerned with?  I have an ATI Radeon
> 9700 Pro video card that accepts a DVI-I connector and I'm assuming most
> newer LCDs should work with this card.  Thought I might make a trip to
> our local Best B*y to check some models out in person.

Yeah, my first recommendation is that you not limit yourself to a
certain size, but instead find a monitor that suits your eyes and
pocketbook.

As it so happens, I just replaced a 21" Nokia 445 Xpro CRT monitor
(still in perfectly good working order) with a 24" Samsung 245BW
wide-aspect flat-panel LCD monitor yesterday.  I couldn't be happier --
and the price was right ($500.00 CDN).  I've reclaimed what seems like
acres of desktop space, I can now park my 9"x12" Intuos tablet in front
of the monitor and still use my keyboard, and the monitor takes the full
digital output of the new graphics card, resulting in laser-sharp
images.  I've got it cranked up to maximum WUXGA resolution (1920x1200
pixels @ 60 Hz).

The same calibre of monitor, just two years ago, would've been more like
$1,500.00, and the tech wouldn't have been as advanced.

My one caveat -- *don't* go to Best Buy if you can help it; their prices
really aren't all that competitive, at least here in Canada.  Try a
local tech supplier, or a chain other than BB.

Garth

P.S.: Anyone wanna buy a perfectly good 21" CRT professional-level
monitor that weighs, oh, about a metric tonne?  Comes with the original
box!  8^>