[OM] Re: "How to give your low-end Canon digital camera RAW support"

Subject: [OM] Re: "How to give your low-end Canon digital camera RAW support"
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:19:33 -0700
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Some of the  added features besides RAW  look interesting.  Zebra mode
> showing clipped or underexposed areas (similiar to Moose's macro), live
> histogram, user set exposure bracketing for HDR and focus bracketing for
> macro stacking.

Speaking of Moose, he is for the moment at a location with internet
access, and so sort of here for the a couple of days.

I have been using the hack on my C A710 IS for a few months now. I have
it set up to load automatically when the camera starts up. So far, it
has done everything it said it will do without any problems at all.

Although I've been shooting RAW, I haven't done much beyond simple
conversion so far. The process is two step, first convert RAW to DNG,
then process DNG in your RAW converter. It clearly does not give the
same advantages as RAW on DSLRs. I did try recovering highlights, and
there is little or nothing there.beyond what's in the JPEG. I suspect
that is because the processor is not 12-14 bits like a DSLR. I have seen
some examples on the web where shadow detail can be recovered. So the
rule is as with other P&Ss, shoot to retain highlights. I usually leave
it set at -2/3 EV.
> Learning to write the scripts may not be worth the price of admission, though
> the included ones are not trivial.
Far from trivial, VERY useful. They bring the camera up a grade or two
in flexibility/usability. And where else have you seen live DOF
calculation on screen while shooting?
> These are P&S after all, but why not?

The 710 IS is a pretty capable camera. With static subjects, the IS
brings it about on a par with the F30 for noise, using slower shutter
speeds and lower ISO on the A710. And I really love the extra reach of
twice the zoom range. But it's a bit bigger and heavier, partly for the
lens and a bit for the mostly useless optical viewfinder.

Anyone who wants to play should decide fairly soon, as the 720 IS and S5
are already replacing their predecessors and use the DIGIC III procesor.
The A720 adds nothing of value to me to the 710.

Moose