[OM] Re: Sunday sunrise

Subject: [OM] Re: Sunday sunrise
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 21:16:22 -0600
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Quick rehash.  In PhotoShop use the marquee tool to select a long,
> narrow band of the sky just below the black area.  Then select transform
> and drag the top edge of the band up to the edge of the frame across the
> black area.  The transform will fill the black area with the color of
> the sky from below.  No need to lose image area to cropping as long as
> the area is relatively featureless.

  Just to make sure I'm understanding this -- another way to describe
what's happening here is (though you wouldn't do it this way)

  create a custom gradient whose colours exactly match the band of the
sky you're selecting, then do a gradient fill using that gradient along
all the top bit of the image?

  If I'm right, doesn't this run the risk of leaving noticeable vertical
stripes? I guess I should try it -- and with the sunset image, not
really. Neat trick!

  -- dan

  -- dan