[OM] Re: Help me decide

Subject: [OM] Re: Help me decide
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 10:13:02 -0500
On 9/5/07, AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > If you want fuel economy and long life, buy a Volvo Penta engine,
> > they are 3 times the machine, and better economy all the way
> > around.
>
> But the local dealers here are keep saying that Kenworth and
> Peterbuilt are the best and all my friends are buying them.  Also,
> the reviews on DTruckReview show that they are the lowest noise and
> have the fastest transmissions.  It's been almost 4 1/2 years since
> Volvo came out with their last pro truck.

Well, Ken, as you can guess, it's been pretty hard for me to keep
quiet in this thread.  I'm sure I'll be accused of being a Volvo
partisan, but remember that the "it's just a tool" argument goes both
ways here.  Consider what you have with the Volvo, even if they
haven't succumbed to the upgrade treadmill like P*terbutt and
K*nneldirt.  You have to think of the intrinsic qualities of the tool,
not just the latest whizbang crap.  Plus I know how you pride yourself
on the value you eek out of a buck.

The bottom line is this:  Are you willing to pay 2-3 times what you'd
pay for a good reconditioned Volvo just so that you can say you're up
with the latest specs when you know that you've already lost that race
by the time you've paid the closing costs on the second mortgage?
You'd do that just to compete with losers who wouldn't even touch the
wheel of Volvo because they read some self-proclaimed genius in
DTruckReview who said is was a little bit noisy in the higher gears?

Think of how you plan to spend your time -- hour after hour -- on the
road.  Give some thought to comfort and handling.  You know your
wrists aren't what they used to be.  Driving a truck's not like
pulling a canoe through shallow water.  Just because you're really
handy with one thing ... you know what I mean?  You've got to give
some thought to handling.  There's a reason why discerning drivers
find their way to a Volvo.  Remember:  it's just a tool.  But that
doesn't mean all tools are equal.  Now I suppose that makes that kind
of an idiotic saying.  Oh well, I can't really explain it.  I hope you
know what I mean.  I'm just trying to be rational here.

Change topic.  Did you see Andrew's review of the D3?  Lots of buttons
and 11 fps!  Man, I perked up when I read that!

My best to the wife and kids, and I hope your tattoo removal is going OK.

Joel W.