[OM] Re: OM's in demand?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM's in demand?
From: "Leandro DUTRA" <leandro.gfc.dutra@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 00:01:27 -0300
2007/9/5, Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I think he misses the point that the XA cameras were pocketable with
> the same photosensitive frame as a pro camera. The difference was the
> lens and the level and control. There is no way that the image from a
> digital digicam equals that of even a low priced DSLR with the
> difference being both the lens and the sensor.

Isn't there any APS-C digicam?

But there should be a 4/3 one, and a 4/3 rangefinder… or is this just
stupid for some reason?

> Actually I think there is a way Oly could go. Considering that it is
> thought that the full frame CMOS sensor in the new Nikon D3 is made
> by Sony, it is likely that Sony will shortly announce a full frame
> camera potentially dealing a body blow to Oly's third place
> aspirations.

So if they do?  It will be huge and expensive.  I see no blow here.

> So if there is another Oly
> camera 6 months down the road, it could be a FF. Like the D3 it could
> be made to automatically mask the viewfinder when mounting a smaller
> format lens. That would preserve the utility of the lenses already
> issued. That would free up the 4/3 sensor for entry DSLRs and a
> possible high quality pocket cam.

No need to free them for that, just make more of them.

Unless Olympus wants medium format — 35mm sensors are the new medium
format — there is no sense going 35mm.

--
+55 (11) 5685 2219               xmpp:leandrod@xxxxxxxxxx
+55 (11) 9406 7191          Yahoo!: ymsgr:sendIM?lgcdutra