[OM] Re: OM's in demand?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM's in demand?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 19:47:03 -0700
I think he misses the point that the XA cameras were pocketable with
the same photosensitive frame as a pro camera. The difference was the
lens and the level and control. There is no way that the image from a
digital digicam equals that of even a low priced DSLR with the
difference being both the lens and the sensor.

Actually I think there is a way Oly could go. Considering that it is
thought that the full frame CMOS sensor in the new Nikon D3 is made
by Sony, it is likely that Sony will shortly announce a full frame
camera potentially dealing a body blow to Oly's third place
aspirations. It is no secret that Nikon has been testing prototype
mules for a couple years in Japan and Olympus can't be unaware of
that or that Sony was probably involved. So if there is another Oly
camera 6 months down the road, it could be a FF. Like the D3 it could
be made to automatically mask the viewfinder when mounting a smaller
format lens. That would preserve the utility of the lenses already
issued. That would free up the 4/3 sensor for entry DSLRs and a
possible high quality pocket cam.

Actually I would like an APS-C pocket cam because I like the 3:2
format, but I would be grateful for one with a 4/3 sensor, if it was
made by Kodak. Maybe not quite up to the quality of FF, but oh so
much better than what is available.

Mike Johnston said on his blog that there was going to be another big
camera announcement in a couple of weeks as if he were very certain
of it. Could be another FF camera. But who will it be? Who wants to
be number 3 the most?

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA