[OM] Re: OT Digicam recording time

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Digicam recording time
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 08:17:08 -0400
I picked a Canon SD800 (aka Digital Ixus 850) since it's fairly new and
has image stabilization.  It can shoot 640x480 movies at 30 frames/sec
and consumes about 2MB/sec.  It's maximum movie clip size is 4GB.  I
don't know if that includes sound or not.  My Minolta A1 also does sound
and it adds a fair amount to the space requirement.  Anyhow, I would
think that a 2GB card should certainly record 10 minutes with sound.

There are lots and lots of digicams that do pretty much the same stuff.
  On the motorcycle I would think vibration control might be a problem
to be reckoned with.  I'm not sure IS would help out at high vibration
frequencies which are designed to compensate for slower hand motions.
Maybe if the camera was strapped to your chest you can be the shock
absorber.  Watch out for the new marketing form of "IS" which is nothing
more than shooting at high ISO.

Chuck Norcutt