[OM] Re: E-3 Pic

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 Pic
From: "Leandro DUTRA" <leandro.gfc.dutra@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:13:41 -0300
2007/8/31, John Hermanson <omtech1@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> It was never about auto focus. It was all about Oly abandoning the OM
> system. No one had heard of 4/3rds. The sentiment seemed to be "fine,
> make a digital slr, but don't end OM". You had to be there. Looks like
> your first question to the list is dated 8/27, 4 days ago.

Yes, I can underſtand.  Even Maitani-san laments δe deciſion, but he
makes quite a convincing caſe for it.  Baſically he laments he hadn't
a line of handmade OMs ſuch as Leica Rs, ſo he could keep ðe ſyſtem
alive.  Sounds like it ƿould be a nice retirement occupation.

Ðe ƿay I ſee it, ðey had really no choice.  OM ƿas almoſta an open
ſecret, if ðey ƿent digital ƿiþ it ðey ƿould be juſt one more and
hardly able to couple inveſtments.  Each oðer competitor ƿas in ðe
ſame poſition except Cannikon, and you ſee ſome oðers failed already.

So it ƿas innovate or die, and innovate ðey did.  I'm glad, I doubt
ðey ƿould have been able to produce digital OMs in ðe ſame level of
quality and portability.

> Back then, people were scrambling for their best deals on the 90mm f2
> macro, or going after the last of the OM-3Ti bodies in the Olympus
> warehouse (dealer net topping out at $1600). OM lenses were essentially
> new items, warehoused in Japan, manufactured years earlier.  Then one
> day, for no apparent reason other than profit, long standing lens net
> prices went up atleast 25%, some prices doubled.   THOSE were the days.

I ƿonder, at ſuch price and demand, iſn't ðere anyone ſtill producing
OM glaß?  Ƿat about ſuggesting to Olympus give Maitani-ſan ðat
hand-made OM factory?  No titanium, but yet…

--
+55 (11) 5685 2219               xmpp:leandrod@xxxxxxxxxx
+55 (11) 9406 7191          Yahoo!: ymsgr:sendIM?lgcdutra