[OM] Re: iStock

Subject: [OM] Re: iStock
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:33:22 +1000
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> ...and North-East? There was no catch-all term in the north-west that
> I could find, just tribal distinctions.

The ones I have some quite limited awareness of are:

Northern New South Wales and Queensland - Murri (one of my two
brother-out-laws is Murri; the other is French :) ).

South Australia - Nungah

Tasmania - Palawa

Northern Territory (I think northern Northern Territory) - Yolngu

Northern South Australia/Central Australia - Anangu

I'm sure there's spelling variations on all these.

I'm not sure about north-west. I think there's 'Yamatji' for central to
north-west Western Australia, but I'm not sure how useful it is,
particularly as it relates to self-identification. Actually, other than
Koori and Murri, I'm not sure how often any of these are used for
self-identification as a group. The tribal distinctions you mentioned
might be far more relevant. (Obviously, the geographic-regions don't
recognise State/Territory boundaries where mentioned too)

Also, it's interesting to me that at least some of these names simply
mean "people" or "person", which might be why tribal affiliation is more
useful for any kind of identification desired.

Cheers,
Marc
Sydney, Oz