[OM] Re: iStock

Subject: [OM] Re: iStock
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:57:50 -0600
They tell me they're tired of white people telling them what their name
should be. They've stuck to Indian, even though it was a white man's mistake
that gave them that name (Columbus thought he'd reached the east indies)
because it's the oldest name used for them...they don't have a name that
refers to all American Indians because there are hundreds of tribes speaking
different languages and many of them historically have not liked each other
much. Some of them still don't like people from tribes that have
historically been at odds with their own. Many Pueblo people still dislike
Navahos because the Navaho's often attacked the pueblo towns in the past,
and on top of that they say the Navahos are uncivilized because they did not
live in permanent towns like the pueblo people have for the last couple
thousand years. Two of the currently existing pueblo towns, Taos and Acoma,
are each over 1200 years old and some of the buildings in the towns are that
old. Acoma Pueblo is believed to be the oldest continuously inhabited town
in the United States. Interesting isn't it? I learned a lot when I moved out
here.

--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design