[OM] SLIDE DUPLICATING - 5000ºK LIGHTBOXES with OLYMPUS E-1

Subject: [OM] SLIDE DUPLICATING - 5000ºK LIGHTBOXES with OLYMPUS E-1
From: David Irisarri <div2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:55:13 +0200
Hi everyone,

I am doing a deep research in color profiling and I need your help as I
am finding very difficult to illuminate evenly IT8.7/1 slides. I know
there are DIN A4 sized reflective camera target on non-glossy Kodak
Prof. paper and polystyrol backing but results aren´t so good. I have
tried these charts but also X-RITE Colorchecker targets and I must say
they are rubbish for creating professional high precision ICC profiles.
Despite I have two ELINCHROM flash heads (with lightbanks), flare is
nearly impossible to avoid on reflective targets and this issue reduces
accuracy very harsly. I was wondering why not using my IT8.7/1
Ektachrome, Provia and Velvia slides with my Olympus E-1 with a 5000 ºK
lightbox. I guess my JESSOPS LP-45 lightbox isn´t 5000ºK at all but also
with my eyes I can see clear differences in light intensities accross
the whole surface but I despite of this, I decided to try. Results were
impressive and I wonder what could I get if I had used an individually
measured Hutch slide, maybe a KAISER lightbox Prolite (CRI>98) 5000ºK
and a good software like Basiccolor Input 3.0.

I have put in contact with KAISER and this is their answer:

Dear David,

Thank you for your email.

Please have a look at the attached PDF regarding the Kaiser lightboxes.

The lightbox with the best uniform light is the small slimlite #2420-2422.
The tubes inside are about 5000K, but i have no measured values about
their color spectrum if they have peaks in it. The prolite basic boxes might
have a better quality, but their uniformity is not as good as the slimlite.
So it is a compromise, between your favoured goals.

What about the idea to illuminate the IT8 slide with your Elinchrom flash?
I´m sure that the color quality of the flash light is more precise then
flourescent
tubes and the light is more even.

I am using a Digital Zuiko 50 F2 at f4 to avoid (fall-off / vignetting)
because at f2 is -0,5 EV, at f2,8 is -0,1EV and f4 is non existent but
also resolution/contrast is hair-raising.

Which way do you think is better? Should I use a slide duplicator
attached to my Zuiko Digital 50 with an Elinchrom Style FX400 flash head
(5000 ºK) (I have read that highlight detail might be a little bit
sacrified, spoling a truly accurate capture of a IT8.7 slide) or it
would be better to use a lightbox (near 5000 ºK) and light evenness but
using fluorescent lamps (close to daylight temperature)

Which brand is the best one? I have read a lot of lightboxes but there
are a lot of them.

Bretford
Just Normlicht
Kaiser