[OM] Re: [Waaaay OT] Streaks and Rectangles from N*kon

Subject: [OM] Re: [Waaaay OT] Streaks and Rectangles from N*kon
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:04:18 -0700
Willie Wonka wrote:
> One of the dudes that works with me just bought a N*kon D200.  He took about
> a hundred pictures, powered the camera down, pulled out the SD card and
> transfered the pictures to his computer via a card reader.
>   He did not delete the pictures on the SD card and after it was inserted
> back into the camera, he noticed that the camera monitor shows some flashing
> streaks and rectangles in certain areas of the pictures upon review.  The
> flashing streaks look like like the one on AC/DC logo...and their thickness
> is different.

You have left out a crucial piece of info here. Were the images on the
computer ok, or streaked?
>   The manual describes the flashing rectangles as areas of overexposure, but
> mentions nothing of the streaks.

Why would only a rectangle and not a streak of flashing image be an
overexposure indicator? Not saying that they necesarily are, only that
this logic sounds faulty. A compromised image can't flash on its own;
flashing requires an active process on the part of the camera. One may
almost certainly turn off this indicator using the menus. From that and
looking at the downloaded images on the computer, one should be able to
determine whether they have such areas of overexposure before and after
being downloaded. If they look ok in the original download, a second
download into a new directory can determine whether they were damaged
after the first download.

Are new images OK when viewed in camera, then not ok after being
downloaded outside the camera and then reinserted? Is this one time or
repeatable?

It is easily possible to isolate the nature of the problem and where it
occurs, but you have not provided the data necessary to do so.
>   He called tech support and was told that the pictures should be transferred
> from the camera via the supplied cable only
BUNK! It is possible that he has a faulty reader, but that generality is
not true.

Yup, as I just said before reading this far. :-)
>   Soooo, if anyone is familiar with those and know where in the submenues one
> can turn them off,
He didn't get a manual? Can't read?

Moose