[OM] Re: IR film --- Kodak HIE

Subject: [OM] Re: IR film --- Kodak HIE
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 12:00:21 -0700
Michael Wong wrote:
> Thanks, Bill.
>
> By the way, may I shoot with TMAX B & W film and Gelatin filter to get
> such effect?

Most films are intentionally not sensitive to much IR for practical
reasons. IR is also called heat, and true IR film has all sorts of
handling sensitivities. You wouldn't want to hold a roll in your fist,
for example, or you will fog the outer part. Dimples in pressure plates
have been known to show up as a ghostly pattern in IR shots, and so on.
Leave a black camera with its back in the sun and away go your images.
You need to keep it cool and develop it promptly.

Also, as someone else pointed out, a C-41 film needs to be even les
sensitive to IR, as some automatic processors use IR sensors. So I'm
sure you won't get anything as dramatic by using a filter with a C-41
film, probably just a ghost of an image.
> Besides, I know there is Hoya R72 filter for digital will get such
> effect. Is it possible Hoya R72 filter with HIE may get such effect
> too?

I don't know about that Hoya filter. If using HIE, why not use the known
correct filter(s)? They aren't expensive.

I do know that many, if not most, digital cameras intentionally filter
out much IR. Weak IR filtering is at the source of the magenta trouble
with the M8 and Leica is handing out free IR filters to correct it. I
also recall a fellow who took apart his Nikon digicam, removed the
internal filter and got some good IR results.

Generally, cameras and film do better for general purpose photography if
they do not have response into the IR and UV wavelengths, as it can
throw off color/tonality. So general purpose cameras and film have
limited IR potential.

Moose