[OM] Re: Photos of a theatre renovation - what to charge?

Subject: [OM] Re: Photos of a theatre renovation - what to charge?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 14:12:48 -0700
Ali Shah wrote:
> A local university had posted an opportunity on
> Craigslist and I responded. Turns out that I did not
> get the main gig - shooting the productions and taking
> headshots. However, the Director of the Theatre liked
> my portfolio. I sold a print and he also asked if I am
> interested in shooting their theatre through the
> various stages of renovation. I am not sure what to
> charge for something like that.
I have no idea about specifics of pricing, but it sounds like a good
gig, if you can get enough money to make it worth while.

I've known people who undercharge for their time, just to get in the
paying end of whatever work they do. It seems to often be a mistake,
simply leading to more underpaid work. Not in photography, but I've
known people to get in a trap this way.

Hey, theatre people are into illusion. If they can't pay enough, but you
want to do it for exposure/portfolio, get them to tell anyone who asks
that it cost more! ;-)

Moose