[OM] Re: Anarchy [was: Re: #232]

Subject: [OM] Re: Anarchy [was: Re: #232]
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:04:41 +1000
That's a tricky one - can you be held to a social contract when you
haven't signed it?
I suspect that your agreement is implicit in your continued residence.
You yourself chose to move elsewhere didn't you? Thus rejecting the
contract.
The problem is that there is no community or nation state that will
ever exactly mirror your wishes and beliefs unless you start your own
(barely possible) or overthrow it and impose your own will, thus
inflicting your own view on the rest of the inhabitants. Also
unsatisfactory.
Thus the principle of solidarity comes into it, the idea that you'll
support the bits and people that you don't like in exchange for their
support of the bits which you do. That's compromise and a simple
reciprocal ethic. It seems to work mostly. Those who cannot grasp
that simple principle on a micro or macro level are the problem,
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx