[OM] Re: [way OT] Household project advice

Subject: [OM] Re: [way OT] Household project advice
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:02:04 -0600
Steve Dropkin wrote:
> Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>
>> However, the other two screw holes are about 1/2 hole
>> width mispositioned both laterally and vertically to be able to use the
>> other two existing screw holes in the door and frame.
>>
>> The only way I know of to fix this problem is to drill out the wrongly
>> positioned existing holes and glue in a short length of dowel to fill
>> the hole.  Then redrill for the screws.  Anybody know an easier solution?

Easier solution, no.  However, a variation on what you're doing has
worked extremely well for me:

Instead of one dowel almost the same diameter as the existing holes, I
use half-a-dozen (or so) much smaller dowels (hardwood or softwood --
doesn't matter), and a woodworking glue that has a high viscosity and a
solids content above 50% or so, to prevent joint starving.  Each dowel
gets shoved in after being dipped in the glue, until you can't fit any
more in.  Since most high-solids woodworking glues have a shear strength
above that of maple, this turns out to be an extremely strong fix.  Wait
to dry (usually ready to go in about an hour, full cure after 24), cut
flush to the surface and re-drill.

Voila!

Garth