[OM] Re: Seeking beginner/intermediate level book recommendations

Subject: [OM] Re: Seeking beginner/intermediate level book recommendations
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:30:44 -0600
Patrick Moore wrote:
> * On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 10:01:55AM +0100, Patrick Moore said:
>> There is another book which is more focused towards composition and general
>> use, but I'm at work at the moment and can't quite remember the author.
>> I'll forward that on.
>
> It's The New Manual of Photography by John Hedgecoe
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Manual-Photography-John-Hedgecoe/dp/0751337374/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/026-6509653-6554805?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184614235&sr=8-1
>
> I enjoy it, and it's filled with plenty of good examples on what to look
> for.

Actually, plowing through Amazon's listings came up with about
half-a-dozen good candidates, simply by searching on "manual of
photography" and ordering the results by "publication date" (so that you
get recent, relevant hits for people introducing themselves to more
serious aspects of digital photography).

I still like (and use) my old "The Manual of Photography" and the much
newer (but still digital-agnostic [for the most part]) "The Focal
Encyclopedia of Photography" (both by Focal Press), but I have to admit,
I like theoretical discussions as well as practical stuff.  I'm
constantly asking "why?" and wanna look under the hood.  For someone who
just wants more of a "cookbook-style" manual, neither of these would be
very good, I think.  And if the person involved doesn't know anything at
all about digital files, then there's more info they'll need.

I can't say I envy people learning photography today.  It's really more
of a commitment to becoming digital-literate in various ways, and many
folks don't want to know anything more about computers and the digital
universe than about how their television works.

Garth