[OM] Re: Walt Update - Laughs while having card read to him.

Subject: [OM] Re: Walt Update - Laughs while having card read to him.
From: "Gary Holder (c)" <gary.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 01:06:22 -0400
Indeed, it's good to hear a bit of good news on Walt.

I think we can be both realistic and somewhat realistically hopeful in his
case.

Meaning, it doesn't look good, but who knows?

Unfortunately, I also have relevant and recent experice--so I'm not
"whitewashing" the situation:

1. I've worked in a hospital--often enough as the tech for brain death
studies,
2. I have been a patient in a situation near enough to Walt's that I don't
care to repeat it (though I realize I'm likely to--at least once more),
3. and recently I watched a friend finish in Hospice (as me, in his 50's, so
"youngish" for that).

I have HUGE admiration for chaplins in these settings.

Years ago, after  I got "very down", in the midst of a string of brain death
studies in the grossly inappropriately young , including at least one
preemie baby, I was blessed with a comforting thought that I've never been
able to convey adequately, but here it is:  "There is a real sense in which
no life is long enough, but that every life is complete."

Perhaps oddly, this emphatically does NOT mean I believe in extending the
end artificially--quite the opposite! That's where the "complete life" comes
in. I TOLD you I couldn't convey the thought properly. Ah, well.

Good luck, Walt!

Gary Holder