[OM] Re: Walt Update - Laughs while having card read to him.

Subject: [OM] Re: Walt Update - Laughs while having card read to him.
From: "Tom Scales" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:38:52 -0400

> Subject: [OM] Re: Walt Update - Laughs while having card read to him.

I can personally attest that it is more art than science.  I can recount at
least a half dozen times where the doctors recommended hospice care because
the end was near for Debbie.  She made it through them all.  I remember one
time where she was in the ICU and extremely ill. The doctors counseled me to
stay that night and not go home as they didn't expect her to make it through
the night.  As I headed towards her room, they asked me where I was going.
You should have seen the looks on their faces when I said I was going to
tell her.

The upside is that when I did, we both actually laughed.  We'd seen worse
and knew this wasn't the time :)

A month later she was at home and in the year following we rode our tandem
bicycle almost 11,000 miles.

Hospice is not always final. It is, however, an incredible support structure
for patients and, as important, their families.

We're all keeping Walt in our thoughts and hoping for the best.

Tom