[OM] Re: Olympus announces new lens, list member continues to toss coins

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus announces new lens, list member continues to toss coins in jar . . .
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 09:01:25 -0700 (PDT)
Garth Wrote:
> by which time *all* DSLRs will be known to an entire generation of
> photographers simply as "Canons."

I'm going to disagree here. I believe that Canon is in a very
precarious position. Most professional photographers are right now in
a five to ten year system-replacement cycle. Starting about five
years ago there was a massive migration from film-based systems to
digital and the logical choice, for most, was Canon. For those who
moved from medium-format, the move has ALWAYS been temporary. Once an
affordable quality digital-back is available, a huge number of these
photographers will migrate back.

Then there are the Nikon users that moved over to the greener side of
the fence. Once a Nikon user, always a Nikon user. Canon optics have
almost always (with a few exceptions) been considered inferior to
Nikon optics.

Those who move to "greener grass" are always looking for greener
grass. It's only a matter of time before they are sufficiently tired
of what they have or are tired of the upgrade/replacement
treadmill--especially as Canon starts bringing out the Mark-II
lenses.

Meanwhile, there are those of us MAC-using, biodiesel-driving,
OpenSource-spouting, gun-wielding, Nader-supporting, Olympus-shooting
recalcitrants living our blissful lives with the cult-status OM and
E-series cameras.

AG

Got a little couch potato?