[OM] Re: Expose Right? was Advice please- stage photography

Subject: [OM] Re: Expose Right? was Advice please- stage photography
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 02:53:50 -0700
Chris Barker wrote:
> But I spotted the "expose right" bit and I think I need
> help with that.

I wrote that in the post Roger responded to.
> You see I have read advice that you should underexpose to avoid
> highlights as the underexposed areas can be raised in exposure in
> post-processing.  But "expose right" seems to me to be the opposite ...

Nope, essentially the same thing. Simply setting EV compensation for
some "underexposure" is a useful way to avoid blowing highlights with
mang digicams in bright, daylight conditions. But you don't want to go
too far with most of them, as the recovered darker bits will tend to be
noisy.

Expose to the right assumed access to a histogram, with luck
pre-exposure, otherwise, post. this should allow closer adjustment of
exposure to minimize blown highlights while keeping  other tonal vlaues
as high as possible.. So it's the same thing, but with better control
than just a guessed EV correction.

Moose