[OM] Re: [OT] M8

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] M8
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 19:21:42 +1000
Now that's quite unfair Larry! :-)
First my most sychophantic ramblings were directed at the lens - it
is exquisite.
Second, the English in the IR filter 'weasel leaflet' is quite
perfect and printed on perfectly normal coated art paper.
We are reminded that in the relentless search for the maximum image
quality, the "extremely thin infrared barrier filter" causes an
increased sensitivity to long wave IR. It explains the problem nicely
(black synthetic fabrics under tungsten) and offers two free
corrective IR/UV filters of the size and colour you wish (silver or
black). In other words, using a protective UV filter as so many of us
have for so many years fixes the problem.
It ain't perfect - but the Leicageeks spent a long time looking for
nitpicks as is their wont and they didn't find that many.
  I was waiting for one to complain that it didn't work well in a
vaccuum.
Personally I think that the battery charger is a hopeless design and
that's actually quite annoying.
My R-D1s is better to operate in a couple of ways too and has that
brilliant 1:1 viewfinder.

But it is Fun. It is expensive Fun. Fun usually is, in some way.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx