[OM] Re: 21mm lens hood

Subject: [OM] Re: 21mm lens hood
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 22:51:37 -0700
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
> Moose wrote:
>
>> Mounting both polarizer and hood could be difficult,
>>
> yes I know about this, it makes mounting my Tamron linear pol. almost
> impossible after the 135/4.5 hood has been already put into place.

Wildly different. The 135/4.5 hood is narrow and deep. I can't even put
an Oly lens hood on it with the hood on. The 21/3.5 hood is wide and
very shallow.
> my 49mm linear pol. in a thin Olympus original, and lets the 50 - 35/2.8 hood
> clamp into place with no difficulties. No vignetting of course.

Then it would work easily with the 21/3.5 hood.
>> I do think, however, that post processing is a generally better way to
>> control sky color with super wide lenses than a polarizer, which
>> generally has an uneven effect.
>>
> I'm very familiar with your point of view on polarizers, Moose, but  I
> sometimes find that the uneven effect on sky color is just what I was
> looking for.

Perfect when used for such intentional and lovely artistic effect. For
most landscapes, it looks odd/unnatural - to me.

Moose