[OM] Re: Vuescan color profile problem {WAS:Don't cry, just do it! [was

Subject: [OM] Re: Vuescan color profile problem {WAS:Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]}
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 03:18:34 -0700
Michael Wong wrote:
> I tried Vuescan last night, I found that there is no color profile
> setting & default is Apple RGB as my computer is Mac. I am worrying
> that the effect if I take "Apple RGB" file to shop for print out.

Click the "More" tab at the bottom of the tabs area to get the advanced
menus. On the "Color" Tab, you will find five settings for color space,
Scanner, Printer, Film, Output and Monitor. One of the choices for each
of the two inputs, Scanner and Film,   is "icc profile" If you select
that, three new boxes appear. Only the first is needed except when
profiling scanner or film. The first one is where you put the name of
the icc profile you want used to adjust the image from the scanner. Such
as the Port160NCsun.icc file I sent you. Click on the @ sign to browse
for it.

I've never been sure what the middle one is for, maybe to put the
comment in the output file somewhere? The third is to let the program
know what calibration file to use with the IT8 target image being used
when creating a profile.

The Apple RGB setting should only show up for the monitor. However, I
believe you have profiled your monitor, and you should use that profile
for the monitor.You select the color space you want for your output
files, "Output" and printer separately. so you could set it to print
directly using one space but output files in a different one. VueScan is
very flexible, which also makes it complex to learn and use.
> Btw, I found the performance of Vuescan for negative film is much
> better than Nikon Scan with default setting but opposite for slide
> film.
Just a matter of the preferences of the people who set up the defaults,
I suppose. I know that VueScan can do a great job with both, and I
assume the same is true of NikonScan.
> Of course there was no IT8 target profile applied. Dunno the
> difference with IT8 profile for slide film?
He explains it somewhere in the User's Guide. If you want the slide
films to retain their different characters, don't use profiles. If you
want them to all come out about the same, use profiles.

Moose