[OM] Re: Size of Spot Meter - OM-4(T)

Subject: [OM] Re: Size of Spot Meter - OM-4(T)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 20:33:35 -0400
Sorry if I didn't say it well but I thought I was simply adding to what
Winsor said.  According to the data that's in the OM3&4 brochure the
spot meter covers the area of the microprism circle in a standard
focusing screen.  As Winsor said, that's also the area of the circle in
a 1-4n screen or approximately 2% of the image area.  The amount of the
screen covered by the spot meter is constant.  But the angle of view
covered by that 2% will vary with the lens in use since their coverage
angles vary.

What I did was compute the area of the screen (actually the total film
image area but the effect is the same).  24x36mm = 864 square mm.  2% of
that area is 17.28 square mm.  But that's a circle so divide by pi to
get the value of the radius squared = 5.5mm.  Take the square root of
that = 2.35mm and mulitply by 2 to get the diameter of the spot metering
area on the screen = 4.7mm.  The lazy man's way to avoid getting up and
actually measuring the diameter of the microprism area on a 1-13 or 2-13
screen.

When the angle of coverage of a lens is given the angle is measured
across the diagonal of the film frame. (instead of a more useful
horizontal of vertical coverage angle)  To compute the actual angle of
coverage of the spot meter with any given lens you need to know the
angle of coverage of the lens, the size of the diagonal on the film
frame and the percentage of the diagonal crossed by the spot metering
circle.  The diagonal of a 35mm frame is 43.3mm long.  Since the
diagonal bisects the spot metering circle over its diameter the spot
metering circle takes up 4.7/43.3 = 0.109 or 10.9% of the length of the
diagonal.

If you apply this percentage to the angular coverage of the lens it will
tell you how many degrees are being measured by the spot meter when it's
using any particular lens.  Since a 100mm lens spans an angle of view of
24 degrees and since the spot metering area covers 10.9% of that 24
degrees the spot meter is actually measuring an angle of 24x0.109 = 2.6
degrees.  To get a 1 degree coverage area similar to some external spot
meters you'd have to put a 250mm lens on the camera.  A 250mm lens has a
10 degree coverage and 10.9% of that is 1.1 degrees.

Hope that clarified rather than further muddying.

Chuck Norcutt