[OM] TOPE "spam-hacks": please do NOT use the comments script for now

Subject: [OM] TOPE "spam-hacks": please do NOT use the comments script for now
From: Olaf Greve <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 15:36:41 +0200
Hi again,

As a follow up to last week's posts, I can report that I have
investigated matters further, and the TOPE commenting script is still
being hammered by spam bots from all over the world.
My Apache error log is chockful of traces to that particular script,
and as mentioned, I want to report the used IP addresses to anti-spam
authorities. Now... I don't feel much like manually filtering out all
those traces from the Apache logfiles, and instead I just created a
small logging script that simply logs each IP address (and the date
and time) of each call to the comments script. This way I'm
harvesting a nice DB of "spambot IP addresses", and this way I can
lateron easier send the IP addresses in an automated way to the anti-
spam authorities; or at least, so I hope.

For this reason I kindly request you all to not use the comments
scripts for now, as doing so will result in your IP address being
logged.

In case your IP address does get logged, the script will let you know
(and it will show your IP address), and you can then send me your IP
address in an e-mail with the subject "TOPE IP ADDRESS REMOVAL", such
that I can delete the address from the DB.

I know this is somewhat of a pain, but until I get around to adding
additional security to the actual comments script, I want to harvest
as many of the critters as possible, such that they can hopefully be
stopped... :P

Finally: please note that this does NOT mean that you cannot use the
TOPE site. Everything works, but for the comments script, and as soon
as it is fixed, I will let you guys know...

Cheers!
Olafo