[OM] Re: Tombstones

Subject: [OM] Re: Tombstones
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 07:26:34 -0400
Good luck.  Reminds me of my own search for the graves of my
Revolutionary War era ancestors.  I found the stones OK (under lots of
poison ivy) on an overgrown corner of what used to be the family farm in
Berkley, Massachusetts
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkley,_Massachusetts>.  But it was
obvious the stones had been moved and scattered about.  I even paid an
engineer to use ground penetrating radar (GPR) to try to locate the
actual grave sites so I could replace the stones where they belonged.
But we didn't find anything other than weak indications of a trench of
the size and shape often used for graves in those days.  As explained to
me, a team of horses was used to drag a scraper type blade to dig a
tapered trench about 6 feet deep at maximum depth.  If the trench ever
contained a body or coffin nature had long ago reclaimed it.  The trench
was also found about 75 feet away from the stones and in the front yard
of the current owner of one small piece of the original farm.  So the
stones remain where I found them, nestled in the regrown poison ivy.

OM content:  I have negatives and prints (somewhere) of the stones and
the GPR crew scanning the grounds all taken with my trusty OM-2s.

Chuck Norcutt