[OM] Re: Spotting scopes

Subject: [OM] Re: Spotting scopes
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 21:16:29 -0400
When I responded it was with the intent of helping you find something
that could be both a spotting scope and a camera lens.  While I'm sure
that Leitz, Nikon, Swarovski and many others make excellent spotting
scopes I wouldn't have considered them any better than the Kestrel when
trying to play the role of camera lens.  Camera mounting, mechanical
balance and stability are just not what spotting scopes are typically
made for.  They can be put to such use but the compromises are quite
extreme.  But if I could afford a pair of Leitz Trinovid binoculars
rather than my Minolta 7x35's I'd surely have a pair.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt