[OM] Re: Spotting scopes

Subject: [OM] Re: Spotting scopes
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 02:43:15 +0800
Mmmmm.....

On 11/05/07, Jeff Keller <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Khen,
>
> I didn't respond initially because I don't haven anything that I use as a
> spotting scope... but ...

It's ok, Jeff....

If you're after a camera lens, I wouldn't recommend a spotting scope. You
> won't be able to stop down the aperture!. Your focusing has to be perfect.

Yes, that bit I'm aware of. You know how 'better halves are....' they have
minds of their own!!! But then again, she has her points. Spotting scopes
would be less arm and bank breaking compared to a good camera lens...

I have a good variety of catadioptric lenses. Personally I wouldn't count on
> any of them that are slower than f6 to deliver a picture of a bird. I have
> Celestron 750mm f6 and a Tamron 350/5.6 which I seem to be able to
> reliably
> focus. The f8 lenses are just too slow to accurately focus.

The problem with CAT lenses is that there is no AF and she's hell-bent on
that. You're right about optical speed. She uses an E-500 and I think that
even if she dispenses with AF, an f8 CAT lens under thicker foliage might be
asking for trouble.

If I want to get photos of birds rather than just enjoy walking around
> trying to take pictures, I take my Tamron 400/4 with a 1.4x teleconverter.

Is this the MF version?

On the other hand I was at Mono Lake trying to take a picture of an Osprey
> nesting on a tufa column in the lake. It was quite far away and the photos
> were only okay.

How far is 'far away,' Jeff? Can you recall your camera settings? I presume
you're talking about using the Tamron 400/4 here with or without the
1.4Xteleconverter...? What was the lighting condition? What time of
the day was
it?
Sorry for these picky questions...I'm trying to imagine the practicality of
the lens you're referring to....

A ranger stopped next to me with a Kowa spotting scope. He
> had a much better view of the birds but didn't get any photos. Five years
> ago or so I looked into spotting scopes. There was a then new Pentax 80mm
> that got great reviews. The Kowa has been around a long time and is well
> regarded by bird watchers.

The gear that bird watchers use is much different
> from that used by bird photographers.

Yes, I agree.

Good luck,
> -jeff
>

> On 5/10/07, khen lim <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > Well Chuck,
> >
> > It's not entirely my exclusive decision on this matter. I have to
> discuss
> > this with my better half, who is primarily the one who wants one. She is
> > after all the one who has a strong photographic preference for all
> things
> > do with birds and the undersea. My inclination right now is to focus on
> > the
> > Kestrel 60mm and then spread the search a little wider to look at the
> > viability of the Leitz and Nikon equivalent products, which I must admit
> > be surprised no one in this forum mentioned anything about. But I'm
> still
> > all ears to see if any of you have experiences - direct or indirect - to
> > do
> > with these two.
> >
> > I just want to make it clear though I'm not a brand maniac though I
> freely
> > admit that Leitz glass is very nice. I've always loved their lenses
> > especially during the days when I used to have the M4P. Pity I really
> > couldn't stretch my budget any further to do it justice but everytime I
> > think back to those days, I just wished I kept it. Sad. <sigh>....
> >
> > K.

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Khen Lim