[OM] Re: Spotting scopes

Subject: [OM] Re: Spotting scopes
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 12:33:36 -0700
The tufa column had to be at least 6 feet tall. It didn't fill the frame. I
was surely using the Olympus OM 1.4xTC on my old Tamron SP 400/4
manual focus lens giving an effective lens of
560mm f5.6. I almost always stop down 1 or 2 stops to insure against
focusing errors so I was probably shooting at f8 possibly f11 (100 ISO film,
using a tripod). Mono Lake is in a high altitude desert. The air is normally
quite clear. There were some large fluffy clouds that added to the beauty of
the scenery but didn't impact the light available. Most likely it was early
afternoon in the spring. I vaguely remember snow on the
Sierras in the background and the sun being towards the south. (Thinking
about it makes me want to drive the 300 miles to get there again this
weekend). The birds were far enough away that no one could see anything
worthwhile without using the ranger's spotting scope or binoculars. The
spotting scope gave greater magnification and a brighter view than my lens +
OM.

I don't see how you are going to get AF with an E500 connected to a spotting
scope. For me an OM is easier to focus than either an E1 or E300. Part of
the issue with the aperture is that most OM focusing screens are designed to
be used with f5.6 or faster lenses. The plain matte screens used in the
digital cameras don't black out like a microprism but they aren't optimal
for manual focusing either. Walt has put a KatzEyeOptics Plus screen in his
E1 had found it very usable with his Zuiko 500/8. The screens aren't cheap
but if you are going to use non-back-
breaking long reach optics, then they are going to be slow and the
screen could make a big difference.

-jeff