[OM] Re: 7-14mm or 5D - sorry to raise it again

Subject: [OM] Re: 7-14mm or 5D - sorry to raise it again
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 23:12:47 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:
> The 5D is already yesterday's newspaper on the bottom of the
> birdcage. Yes, it is a good camera, but it is already "dated" and
> obsolete.

Keep telling yourself that and eventually it will be true. I know it
will become 'dated', and am a bit surprised it hasn't happened already,
but I still don't think there is anything directly competitive, let
alone better. The D200 is the closest,and the winner for some folks who
need/want sealing, but for pure IQ, the 5D simply resolved more detail,
possibly due more to excellent pixel level sharpness than a few more pixels.

The 1D III is simply not the same type of camera, with a smaller sensor
and bigger, more expensive body that excel at high frame rate uses. The
1Ds III, when it shows up, will exceed the 5D in overall IQ, but at a
price in $ and size and weight that put it in a whole different world.

As to obsolete, your tongue must be firmly in cheek. The guy who
continues to use and extol the advantages of the E-1 and A1 because they
continue to deliver the image goods should understand that the images
out of a 5D will be in no way diminished when something better, probably
a 6D, comes along.
> High-ISO performance limitations?  Yes, maybe, but...  I shot a
> recent event where 51 images are being used in print.  Almost without
> exception, every shot was taken at ISO 400, 800 or 1600 with the E-1
> and A1.  Yes, that's 51 pictures being used in just one publication.
> Do you think I might get more pictures published if I shot with a
> Canon?  Do you honestly think that any noise will be visible in 1/4
> page shots?
Nope.

Do you think I will ever have any 1/4 page shots published? That I want
to? Just because resolution and modest high iso noise performance is not
an issue in your event work doesn't mean it isn't important to other
people's work. Bob Whitmire, for example, has run right up against the
E-1's technical limitations in his different mode of selling his images.
> High-ISO pixel-peeping is usually in the heads of those who think that
> technical superiority will rescue poor skills.

Oh bosh! You, of all people, know how important it is to match equipment
to use and to test equipment throughly so you know what it can and can't
do. Pixel peeping is one useful way to do that. How is it any different
than shooting resolution test targets (which I know you have done) and
viewing he results with a microscope or on highly enlarged prints? It's
the same game of finding the limits.

Moose