[OM] Re: 7-14mm or 5D - sorry to raise it again

Subject: [OM] Re: 7-14mm or 5D - sorry to raise it again
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 08:05:37 -0700 (PDT)
swisspace wrote:
> I considered the 11-22 but dismissed it as I would always want that
> bit wider than it gave and end up buying the 7-14mm anyway.

The 11-22 does have a major advantage over the 7-14 in that it is a
much smaller lens AND it is able to take filters. The front element
on the 7-14 is quite bulbious.

> As far as I see it I have two options
> 1. look out for a 5D upon which to use my existing wide angles
> 17,21 and  24 and other quality glass

The problem here is that it leads down the slippery slope of buying a
second system.  You don't like carrying around the OM-kit AND the E-1
kit now, well, once you get a 5D, you're back to two kits again. I
think that for most people, marrying into a single system is the best
way to go.

> 2. buy a 7-14 and continue using my E1

You can buy a 7-14 and an E510 for less than the cost of a 5D kit.

> 7-14mm should retain some resale value
Ever priced a 24/shift or 350/2.8 lately?  Even old high-quality
Zuikos with legacy mounts still fetch a premium price.

> minuses - stuck with one mount and possibly brand (yes I know its
> olympus but hey). poor high iso when compared with above

You are actually at an advantage here.  Olympus users are notoriously
loyal and fanatical.  Unlike the Big-C, our equipment isn't obsoleted
every 18 months.  Nikon?  Just how many series of AF lenses have they
had already?

I had the opportunity to try out Bill Barber's 7-14 lens.  It really
is a phenominal lens.  A classic!  If he would have brought three
more to Isle Royale, he could have sold all of them to the rest of us
on the spot.

The 5D is already yesterday's newspaper on the bottom of the
birdcage. Yes, it is a good camera, but it is already "dated" and
obsolete

High-ISO performance limitations?  Yes, maybe, but...  I shot a
recent event where 51 images are being used in print.  Almost without
exception, every shot was taken at ISO 400, 800 or 1600 with the E-1
and A1.  Yes, that's 51 pictures being used in just one publication.
Do you think I might get more pictures published if I shot with a
Canon?  Do you honestly think that any noise will be visible in 1/4
page shots?  High-ISO pixel-peeping is usually in the heads of those
who think that technical superiority will rescue poor skills.

Buy the 7-14, for crying out loud!

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com