[OM] Re: Milestones

Subject: [OM] Re: Milestones
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 09:01:43 -0700 (PDT)
> But it does make one wonder about the design life of the E-1
> shutter.  The Canyon 5D is reputed to be 150,000 exposures and the
> 20D is maybe 75,000 but I'm not sure of that.

The E-1's is 150,000.  Of course, that's an expected MTBF type of
rating so a failure could happen at any moment.

> press the shutter button on digital bodies vs film.  I don't know
> how to check the counter on the 5D or the A1 so I have no idea how
> many shots they've taken.

On the A1 I don't reset the file# so it is a pretty viable way of
tracking shutter count.  Mine has rolled over twice and sits almost
at 1000.  So, I've got about 21,000 on the A1.

I can see how some people can rattle up a hundred thousand a year,
but there is no way they could do that and edit down what they shoot
without a full-time staff going through all their garbage.  I believe
in the concept of "pre-editing".

The new 1DM3 is going to be the cat's meow for those morons who think
that they need to shoot 20,000 images at a wedding.

Speaking of such, I did a wedding two weeks ago where I had to really
struggle to shoot past 300 images.  I was feeling quite guilty so I
stuck around at the dance and shot a couple hundred just to fatten up
the file count.  But for crying out loud, if you chimp and KNOW that
you got the shot, why bother shooting 20 more insurance shots of the
same thing?

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com